RENTON, Wash. - Lane closures at a busy interchange in Renton are expected to jam traffic this weekend.
Three lanes of northbound I-405 will be closed between SR 167 and Talbot Road South from 11 p.m. Friday to 4:30 a.m. Monday.
Crews are building a flyover ramp that links the high occupancy toll lanes on SR 167 to the carpool lanes on I-405 in Renton. The ramp is designed to improve traffic flow and safety at the interchange. The Washington State Department of Transportation says the new connection will also reduce weaving at the interchange and reduce the possibility of crashes.
WSDOT says the work could affect a half-million cars every weekend, leading to delays of 30 to 45 minutes with backups of 5 to 7 miles.
Traffic on I-5 could also be affected, but WSDOT says it will be worth it for those who use the HOT lanes.
"That will essentially be doubling the capacity through the interchange if you are going northbound to northbound or southbound to southbound and you won’t have to weave all the way across from the inside to the outside if you're in the HOV lane or in the HOT lane,” said Kim Henry with WSDOT.
WSDOT says the third phase of the project adds another lane to I-405 from Renton to downtown Bellevue.
Those closures will be different, but drivers should expect them to affect any SR 167 to I-405 connection over the next two weekends.
More news from KIRO 7
- DUI suspect killed in jump off SR 520 Bridge
- Colorado man who pleaded for return of missing wife, daughters arrested in deaths
- Leaked city documents give protesters heads-up on homeless camp cleanups
- Bus vendor issues threaten Seattle's new rapid ride line
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.