Greenwood house fire thought to be out reignites

A fire that was thought to have been put out by a family member reignited when they left to go to a hotel room Tuesday.

SEATTLE — A fire that was thought to have been put out by a family member reignited when they left to go to a hotel room Tuesday.

Michael Church, who lives in the home on Dayton Avenue North and North 90th Street in Seattle’s Greenwood neighborhood with five family members, said the fire started about 1:30 a.m. when his brother was cooking and left the room to use the restroom. There had been grease on the stove from earlier cooking.

When Church’s brother, Brian, came back into the kitchen, a fire was burning. Brian Church said he was actually on fire as he ran to get family members out and suffered burns to his hands and legs.

Content Continues Below

Michael Church said though the whole kitchen was engulfed in flames, he was able to put the fire out because he had training from the Port of Seattle and works at Sea-Tac Airport.

Firefighters were called and Brian Church was taken to Harborview to be treated.

Meanwhile, Michael Church left to get a hotel room.

When he returned to get his truck at about 4:20 a.m., he found the fire had reignited and called firefighters a second time. The fire had extended to the attic.

The fire has since been put out.

No one else was hurt.