Fire from discarded coals, ashes damages detached garage in Everett

EVERETT, Wash. — The Everett Fire Department is warning the public about the risks of improperly disposing ashes and coals after they responded to a fire on Sunday afternoon.

Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, multiple 911 callers reported seeing thick black smoke and flames in the 2400 block of Columbia Avenue.

Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters found a fully involved garage fire.

Fire crews quickly brought the fire under control before it could spread to other structures.

No injuries were reported.

A fire investigator determined that the fire was started as a result of improperly disposed ashes from a previous evening’s barbeque.

Coals and ashes from fires can remain hot enough to start a fire for many days after a fire has been extinguished.

The Everett Fire Department recommends that you should always treat ashes and coals as hot and make sure you allow them to cool before disposing of them.

The damages to the structure and contents of the detached garage are estimated at $120,000, according to the Everett Fire Department.