GRANT COUNTY, Wash. - A Level 3 evacuation order was in place for an area near Old Vantage Highway and Frenchman Coulee -- close to Quincy, Washington -- where a large wildfire was burning.
It was controlled Sunday night before 9 p.m., officials said. The blaze burned across 600 acres of mainly sage and grass.
By Monday at 11 a.m., the fire was out. Grant County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kyle Foreman said the fire has been ruled accidental.
Foreman said boaters told authorities they came ashore Sunday afternoon to start a fire in a fire ring to barbecue, but the wind picked up and the fire got out of hand.
The fire was in "difficult terrain" about 3 miles south of the Gorge Amphitheatre, Grant County officials said.
The wildfire was called the #SunlandFire.
The Gorge is hosting the Sasquatch music festival through Monday. The fire burned away from the Gorge, not toward it.
Some Sasquatch music performances were canceled Sunday because of high winds.
Grant County Sheriff’s Office officials tweeted out an advisory, writing: “Leave now.”
LEVEL 3 EVAC - Old Vantage Hwy and Frenchman Coulee - Wildfire. Leave now! https://t.co/qfjT819qMg— Grant County Sheriff (@GrantCoSheriff) May 29, 2016
Earlier updates are below:
- 7:01 p.m.: Wildfire burning eastbound. Less smoke visible than earlier, per Grant Co. Sheriff.
- 6:47 p.m.: Officials say the biggest thing at risk is crops.
- 6:21 p.m.: State mobilization requested by incident commander.
- 5:37 p.m.: I-90 remaining open is "condition-dependent." Currently open.
- 5:12 p.m.: Grant County officials say Sunland Estates is not being evacuated.
- 4:54 p.m.: Road V SW and south of Road 1 SW have been issued Level 2 evacuation order. "Prepare to evacuate." Officials say the Gorge Ampitheatre is not at risk.
- 4:45 p.m.: KIRO 7's Morgan Palmer discusses how winds are affecting the #SunlandFire. Watch here.
- 4:41 p.m.: Officials say 10 homes are at risk and are on evacuation notice. Silica Road has been closed between Sunland Road and I-90.
- 4:23 p.m.: Sasquatch festival continues to cancel music sets, citing "high winds."
- 3:32 p.m.: Heavy smoke seen from inside the Gorge Ampitheatre, hosting Sasquatch music festival.
- 3:03 p.m.: Level 3 evacuations ordered by Grant Co. Sheriff's Office for Old Vantage Highway & Frenchman Coulee.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.