Deputies are investigating after a 40-year-old man was fatally shot in Covington on Thursday night.
The shooting happened in the back bedroom of a home in the 17400 block of Southeast Wax Road after 8 p.m.
Deputies said the victim was shot in the chest and died.
The suspect is a 21-year-old man, who was arrested from the scene. The King County Sheriff’s Office said he is cooperating with investigators, and the shooting may have been an accident.
The sheriff’s office said the 40-year-old victim and the 21-year-old suspect were renting rooms in the house.
It’s not clear what led the 21-year-old to shoot the 40-year-old man in the chest with a shotgun, but the sheriff’s office is saying it appears the intent was not murder, and instead – negligence.
“You’re saying right now it appears he was accidentally shot?” KIRO7’s Deedee Sun asked.
“It appears so. But again there’s more to look into, exactly what caused it and what led up to it,” said Sgt. Ryan Abbot of the King County Sheriff’s Office.
Abbott said the suspect was booked on arresting charges of manslaughter but that could change depending on what the investigation uncovers.
Other people were also in the home but no kids were in the house when the shooting happened.
More news from KIRO 7
- Police: Mother of 5 killed – by nephew – while breaking up fight at niece's baby shower
- Fire officials: Man's fingertips stuck in excavator in Bellevue
- Police: Mother shoots man trying to steal SUV with toddlers inside
- Fire breaks out inside the Muckleshoot Tribal Fireworks stands in Auburn
- Three homes damaged in Lake Stevens fire
© 2020 Cox Media Group