EVERETT, Wash. - Two toddlers were injured in separate incidents after falling out of open windows in Snohomish County on Monday.
South County Fire officials said a 3-year-old boy fell three stories at an apartment complex in the 12100 block of Highway 99 just before 3 p.m.
According to South County fire, the boy fell after he pushed against a window screen and landed in landscape bark. The boy was transported to Providence Everett Medical.
Around 4:40 p.m., South County Fire said another boy, around 3 or 4 years old, fell out of a second-story window onto a wood deck at an apartment complex in the 800 block of 124th Street SW.
The boy was transported from the scene to Haborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Due to privacy laws, South County Fire was unable to provide any additional information on the boys’ injuries.
Firefighters gave the following tips to parents of young children on the dangers of open windows:
- Adult supervision is key. Unattended children run the greatest risk of falls and injuries, so the best first step is to watch children as they play.
- Keep furniture that children can climb on away from windows.
- Do not depend on window screens to prevent children from falling. Screens can easily give way under a child’s weight.
- Consider installing window guards. Be sure that these guards allow for escape in the event of a fire. Window guards can be found at hardware stores and children’s specialty stores.
More news from KIRO 7
- 1 injured, 2 detained after shooting in downtown Seattle
- Man charged in 1972 killing of young woman released on bail
- ‘Went to the bone': Man stabbed by suspect who was killed by police says officer saved his life
- 2 off-duty deputies pursue suspects after witnessing robbery in Safeway parking lot
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.