BELLEVUE, Wash. — A worker has died in an accident at a construction site on eastbound State Route 520 near 148th Avenue Northeast in Bellevue, according to the Washington State Patrol.
The man fell 30 to 40 feet off a pier cap where a girder was being placed at about 2:40 a.m. Tuesday.
CPR was performed by Bellevue fire medics, but the victim later died at Harborview Medical Center.
"He was a foreman with Kiewit. (He) had been a longtime employee, was very well liked and well known. And our hearts just go out to his family and everyone who worked with him - it's a terrible tragedy," Rachelle Cunningham, a Sound Transit spokesperson, told KIRO 7's Michael Spears.
KIRO 7 video showed workers at the scene wearing safety cables, but it is yet not known if the worker who died was wearing one when they fell.
The victim worked for Kiewit-Hoffman, a contractor working for Sound Transit.
The accident occurred in the area where girder construction is being done for the new east link light rail.
The Department of Labor & Industries is handling the investigation.
More news from KIRO 7
- Worker killed in fall at construction site on SR 520
- One killed, one injured in mountain lion attack near North Bend
- When was last fatal cougar attack in the Northwest? See details of past attacks
- New to Washington: 'Diverging diamond' interchange coming to Lacey
- Men arrested, thousands of items seized at Seattle coin shop
© 2020 Cox Media Group