Authorities are looking for the man they said abandoned a dog Saturday afternoon at Golden Gardens Park – and they're praising the people who stepped in to save it.
The incident happened about 1 p.m. Saturday at the park at 8498 Seaview Pl. N.W. The park has an off-leash area, but a witness told authorities a man in a large black pickup truck let the dog out of a crate near the beach area, away from the dog park, and drove away.
"It is just so unnecessary," said Seattle Animal Shelter Executive Director Ann Graves, who explained the shelter can find homes for pets that owners are no longer able to care for.
See the full video below to watch how another dog owner who was at Golden Gardens stayed with the dog for more than an hour until authorities could come to take care of it.
Seattle Animal Shelter staff said the dog, who looks healthy, will be checked by a veterinarian and cared for during their investigation. It eventually could be adopted, but will stay at the shelter while authorities try to locate the person who left it at the park.
Anyone who is unable to care for their pet – dog or otherwise – can contact the Seattle Animal Shelter at (206) 386-PETS (7387) or (206) 386-4294. There is no cost to surrender an animal that an owner is unable to care for. The shelter is located at 2061 15th Ave. W. in Seattle.
More news from KIRO 7
- Alaska earthquake coverage with KIRO 7 crew in Anchorage
- Misuse of money, sexual exploitation, among allegations in latest lawsuit against Federal Way church
- 'Baby It's Cold Outside' removed from radio station's playlist
- '"Lunch shaming" ban puts North Thurston Schools $21,000 in debt
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cox Media Group