Beer and wine will be sold at University of Washington men's and women's basketball games this upcoming season, the school's athletic department announced on Wednesday.
UW will be the sixth Pac-12 school to offer alcohol at basketball games.
"In recent years, fan feedback has indicated a strong desire for the offering of beer and wine throughout our basketball competition facilities," UW Director of Athletics Jennifer Cohen said. "After seeing many of our peer institutions introduce beer and wine sales in their facilities, having a successful launch of sales in other venues in our athletic village, and monitoring the Seattle Storm's alcohol sales in Alaska Airlines Arena this summer, our campus committee determined the timing was right to responsibly introduce sales for basketball games."
UW officials said it will closely monitor the sales at basketball games as consideration is given for future opportunities within other UW athletics venues.
Along with the sale of beer and wine at Alaska Airlines Arena, officials said there will be clear bag and no re-entry policies throughout all arena sports.
More news from KIRO 7
- Former Seahawks highlight Seattle Dragons' picks on Day 1 of XFL Draft
- Hunter finds skull on Whidbey Island belonging to man reported missing in 2000
- One killed, 1 critically injured in head-on collision in Preston
- DC sniper Lee Boyd Malvo's lawyers argue for new sentence before Supreme Court
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.