One person was killed in a two-alarm fire early Sunday at an apartment building in Everett, officials said.
Firefighters responded just after midnight to the 900 block of West Casino Road after 911 callers reported seeing smoke.
Crews began fighting the fire offensively. They forced entry into the apartment where the fire started, and found thick smoke and a mattress fire.
Fire crews also found an unresponsive man in the apartment, who later died. A cat also died in the fire.
A preliminary investigation suggests that a cigarette may have started the fire, but it is still under investigation.
© 2021 Cox Media Group