High school football player injured during game dies

Kenney Bui of Evergreen High School was seriously injured last night after making a tackle with four minutes left in the game.

SEATTLE — Harborview Medical Center reports the high school football player was seriously injured during a game on Friday night -- has died.

The news came just a few hours before students and players from around King County gathered at Evergreen High School to remember Kenney Bui.

"He died doing what he loved ... he loved playing football."  We report with heavy hearts that a Washington high...

Posted by KIRO 7 News on Monday, October 5, 2015

Content Continues Below

He was injured during a tackle.  Bui’s family said he suffered a traumatic brain injury.

Bui was playing as a defensive back in the school's homecoming game against Highline High School. He suffered the injury while making a tackle.

“I love him so much,” Bui’s father Ngon said in tears. “I don’t want to lose him, but right now I already lost him.”

HMC confirmed the death around 1 p.m. on Monday.

"It is with great sadness that School Board President Bernie Dorsey and I share with you that TEC High School senior Kenney Bui, who was critically injured in Friday night’s Evergreen v. Highline football game, died this morning at the hospital," Superintendent for Highline Schools, Susan Enfield, wrote in a statement.

"This is a devastating loss for all of us -- Evergreen students, families, and staff, and our entire Highline community. Our deepest condolences go out to Kenney’s family and all who knew him. Please join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers."


Enfield also shared messages of grief over Twitter on Sunday.

"Our Highline community is hurting this weekend. An Evergreen football player was critically injured in Friday’s game," she wrote. "Please keep our student, his family, classmates, and teachers in your thoughts."




The game was called off and he was rushed from the stadium to Harborview, where he underwent emergency surgery for his brain injury.

He remained at the hospital in critical condition until Monday, according to hospital officials.

Bui’s family said they are grateful for all the support and hope high school football families will not think twice before letting their children play.

“I don't want nothing happen to all the kids in the United States,” Bui’s father said.

Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.