Human remains found at recycling center likely related to slain mother

Detectives are investigating after human remains were found Monday morning at a recycling center.

Police believe it is probable the remains are connected to the ongoing investigation into the murder of the 40-year-old Renton woman.

Here's what we know about the case:

  • Ingrid Lyne was reported missing Saturday morning
  • Lyne was last seen leaving for a date Friday at the Mariners home opener  
  • Her body was found Saturday afternoon dumped in the Central District 
  • Suspect John Robert Charlton was arrested Monday in Snohomish County
  • Charges were filed against Charlton on Wednesday
  • More remains were found on Friday near the scene of first discovery
  • Human remains found Monday morning at a recycling center
  • See images from the case
  • Click here for a Q&A on the case

On Monday, police investigated its third scene where human remains were found. 

The recycling center is located at 2801 Third Avenue South.

According to Sara Cativo, whose mom works at the Republic Services recycling center, workers were sorting recycling on a conveyer line and found a human leg.

The discovery was upsetting to workers. "She was in shock, " said Cativo of her mother, "She turned away from it because she couldn't handle something like that."

Cativo said other remains were also found. The medical examiner took the remains and detectives gathered evidence.

This is the third time in just over a week remains have been found in Seattle linked to the murder of Renton mother, Ingrid Lyne.

Body parts found Friday by garbage collector 

Police started investigating Friday at the intersection of East Marion and 20th Avenue around 11 a.m. See photos from scene here.

A garbage collector found the remains, which are likely related to the slaying of Ingrid Lyne, just two blocks away from where the initial discovery of body parts was made Saturday.

As of 1:30 p.m., garbage trucks that service the area left the scene. They will now go to a different location for screening.

At the crime scene Saturday, police said the remains were packaged and dropped there in plastic bags.

The King County medical examiner did not confirm Lyne’s identity Monday, though Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole said that afternoon investigators were confident the remains were Lyne's.

Police said they would not elaborate on details about Lyne’s remains. However, court documents give graphic details about where Lyne's body was found.




The suspect in the case is John Robert Charlton

Charlton, 37, was arrested Monday at his ex-girlfriend's residence in Snohomish County.

King County prosecutors filed charges against him on Wednesday. He's accused of premeditated murder.

Police have not elaborated exactly how Lyne and Charlton met, though one of Lyne’s friends wrote on Facebook that they met online. She wrote that Lyne went on a date to the Mariners game, and Lyne’s family responded to that post with Facebook screen grabs of Charlton’s page.

KIRO 7 was sent an online dating profile for the site Plenty of Fish that appears to be Lyne, though that is not posted here because police have not confirmed that profile or said how Lyne and Charlton met online. Charlton had a profile on Plenty of Fish.




Lyne was last seen April 8 before the Mariners home opener at Safeco Field.

Police said her cellphone records were crucial in the investigation. Her ex-husband told police her cellphone was left at her Renton home.

Evidence outlined in court documents suggests that Lyne was killed at her home, though police have not said where she was killed.

Charlton claimed that he had been so intoxicated on Friday night that he could not recall how he and Lyne returned to her residence after the Mariners game, or what transpired when they got there.

Police have not said that Charlton is a serial killer.

Ray and JoAnn Charlton said in a court document that in 2006 their son had taken the movie "Hannibal" — about fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter — from a shelf in 2006 and told his mother she should watch it and "beware."




The family of the mother of three released this statement Tuesday night: 

"But out of our grief, hope still springs, as does our appreciation. Words cannot express our gratitude to our communities near and far for banding together and expressing their support and ultimately their love.  For this we will be forever grateful.  From the bottom of our hearts, we all thank you."

"We would also like to express our appreciation to the Renton and Seattle Police Departments as they work tirelessly to provide all of us the truth around what exactly happened to our beloved Ingrid.  They have been there for our family providing answers, support, and compassion – even feeding the girls cats when we needed."

>> Click link to donate to GoFundMe account for victim's daughters

"Lastly, we’d like to give you an update on Ingrid and Phil’s daughters.  While devastated, they have been amazingly resilient and we couldn’t be more proud of how they have handled what will be the worst news of their young lives.  With all of your prayers and positive thoughts, we are able to express to them how much Ingrid meant to all of you and how much you truly love and care for them.  We have truly appreciated all of your respect for their privacy while our primary focus is on them moving through this in a healthy yet honest manner."

"Again, thank you to all of you in what has truly been our darkest hour."

More than 200 people united in grief at a vigil held for Lyne, who was a caregiver at Swedish Medical Center.

Friends and family described Lyne as smart, funny, and loved sports. Most of all loved ones said Lyne was a devoted mother.

The community is showing its love and support for Lyne's daughters -- by remembering how the mother lived, not how she died.

"Instead of seeing all the stories online about what's happened, we want to show them [the girls] the love and support that they do have, and they will have for years to come," friend Nancy Siviitilli said.

By Friday, a GoFundMe for the daughters reached $228,000.

KIRO 7 News will send breaking news updates to you on this story. You can subscribe by downloading the app here.