Intel VP among 6 climbers killed on Mt. Rainier

Quick Facts:

  • Two climbers identified were guides
  • Intel Vice President Uday Marty among six killed
  • Three others were men from Seattle, Minnesota and Pennsylvania
  • Deaths are the deadliest accident on the mountain since 1981

One of the six climbers killed in a fall on Mt. Rainier was a vice president and managing director of Intel, a company spokesman said Monday.

Uday Marty worked for Intel in Southeast Asia and was "widely loved and respected at this company," Intel spokesman Bill Calder told The Associated Press.

"We are most definitely mourning his loss here," he said.

According to his biography on Intel's website, Marty managed sales and marketing in the region and had previously managed global notebook marketing out of the company's headquarters in Santa Clara, California. He joined the company in 1996.

"He was a guy with a great attitude and he always had a big smile," Calder said.

The others killed were: John Mullally, Eitan Green and Matt Hageman of Seattle, Mark Mahaney of Minnesota and Erik Kolb of Pennsylvania.

Alpine Ascents, who employed the guides, said Green had climbed Rainier at least 40 times and Hageman's online bio said he'd been to the top of Mt. Rainier more than 50 times. YouTube videos show him describing his climbs.

The group is believed to have been killed after a 3,200-foot fall on Liberty Ridge -- a very steep area that attracts experienced climbers.

Late Monday morning, KIRO 7 talked to a Seattle man who knew Mullally and roomed with him twice.

“He had a way with people that was just calm and even-toned. Always inspiring – he made you feel good about yourself,” said friend Todd Maloy.

The six deaths are the deadliest accident on Mt. Rainier since 1981.

Mt. Rainier climbing ranger Peter Ellis arrived first at the scene after getting the call about the downed climbers.

Ellis said all his team found of the climbers was a picket used to anchor the team to the mountain.

Shortly after, a helicopter discovered the debris field more than 3,000 feet below.

“It’s hard, but doing this job there comes a time where you have to separate your emotions from what you need to do, and it was definitely one of those times, especially knowing the guides and they had an accident a terrible accident and you just have to put that aside and focus on your job and your safety,” Ellis said.

Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.