Dog saves family from house fire in Georgia

Dog saves family from house fire in Georgia

Sammy started barking when a fire started, allowing her family to escape the flames. (Savannah Fire Rescue)

SAVANNAH, Ga. — A family’s dog alerted them to a fire early Friday morning, allowing them to safely escape.

The dog, named Sammy, started barking around 1 a.m., awakening her owners, allowing the five people inside to get out uninjured, Savannah Fire Rescue said.

Content Continues Below

Two cats and another dog died in the flames

Investigators believe the blaze was sparked by a faulty deep freezer.

"I would encourage everyone this time of the year to make sure their smoke detectors are working at all times, but smoke detectors are a vital part of making sure you are able to get out of the structure in time," Ira Harper, Savannah Fire battalion chief, told WGAL.