SEATTLE - Negative equity continued to fall in the fourth quarter of 2012, dropping to 27.5 percent of all homeowners with a mortgage, compared with 31.1 percent one year ago, according to the fourth quarter Zillow® Negative Equity Report. Almost 2 million American homeowners were freed from negative equity over the course of the year, with nearly 32,500 of them in the Seattle metropolitian-area.
Zillow reports the zip codes with the highest percent of homes with a mortgage in negative equity are in Pierce County, which is the county most underwater in the Seattle-metro area, with 44.6% of homeowners with mortgages underwater. Snohomish and King counties have 40% and 26.4% of homeowners with a mortgage underwater, respectively.
ZIPs with HIGH % of homes with a mortgage in negative equity:
- 98558 – Roy (city), Pierce (county): 83.3%
- 98385 – Buckley, Pierce: 68%
- 98204 – Paine Field-Lake Stickney, Snohomish: 66%
- 98424 – Fife: 65.6%
- 98387 – Spanaway, Pierce: 62.1%
ZIPs with LOW % of homes with a mortgage in negative equity:
- 98039 – Medina, King: 4.8%
- 98040 – Mercer Island, King: 7%
- 98112 – Seattle, King: 8.7%
- 98105 – Seattle, King: 9%
- 98006 – Bellevue, King: 9.7%
Seattle Metro Highlights:
- Negative equity fell in the fourth quarter to 33.5% from 34.2% in the third quarter of 2012.
- As of the end of the fourth quarter, there were 221,024 homes in negative equity in the metro. The cumulative amount of negative equity is $20.3 billion. 32,457 homes were freed from negative equity in 2012.
- The Zillow Negative Equity forecast predicts that the negative equity rate among all homeowners with a mortgage will fall to at least 29.9% by the fourth quarter of 2013, freeing more than 23,441 additional homeowners.
- The 90-day delinquency rate for all mortgaged homes is 10.9% which is above the national rate of 8.9%.
- Of homes that are in negative equity, 39.9% are underwater by 20% or less.
- Of homes that are in negative equity, 9.6% owe more than double their home’s worth, which is below the national rate of 13.8%
- Pierce County is the most underwater in the Seattle metro, with 44.6% of homeowners with mortgages in negative equity.
- Other counties: Snohomish County: 40% of homeowners with a mortgage are in negative equity.
- King County: 26.4% of homeowners with a mortgage are in negative equity.
Get the complete report at this link - EXCEL required. File will download.
Get an abbreviated PDF version of the report that has been edited for formatting at this link.