Fire engulfs building with animals inside at Washington State Fairgrounds



PUYALLUP, Wash. - A building at the Washington State Fair Event Center in Puyallup that had petting zoo animals inside was gutted in a fire that broke out late Sunday.

Two workers tried to put the flames out, but the fire grew out of control.

 The two-alarm fire at Evergreen Hall was reported at 11:55 p.m. Central Pierce Fire responded with four engines and two ladders.

See photos of the animal rescue and fire here.

 The south end of Evergreen Hall housed the Fair Farm, a petting farm during Spring Fair, and the animals were in the building at the time of the fire.

All of the 49 animals, including birds, llamas, sheep and goats, were rescued, except a piglet, which died in the fire.

Sales Lunch, a food concessionaire housed in the northwest corner of Evergreen Hall, was destroyed.

Evergreen Hall was one of the oldest buildings on the facility.  It was remodeled in 2013 in time to house the agriculture and floral departments at last year’s Washington State Fair.

The Washington State Spring Fair concluded Sunday at 8 p.m. No one was injured in the fire.

The fire began near a water heater in a concession stand.

Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.