• UW wide receiver pleads guilty to assault

    By: Natasha Chen


    Seattle, Wash. - University of Washington wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow pleaded guilty
    Wednesday afternoon to two counts of assault and one count of malicious mischief.

    Stringfellow admitted to striking two people during Super Bowl celebrations on Feb. 2.

    In his statement read to the court by King County District Court Judge Anne Harper, he said, “I intentionally struck Kent Schmuland … I also assaulted Kelsey Clark by intentionally touching her in a harmful and offensive manner, while struggling with her over a camera.”

    Stringfellow also stood to tell the judge, “I’ve learned from my mistakes and I’m channeling my energy toward focusing on taking counseling.”

    Court documents showed Stringfellow first got into a tussle with another student when that person threw his Denver Broncos beanie toward a bonfire. Stringfellow was then accused of struggling with Clark for her camera when he saw that she was taking pictures in his direction.

    Documents stated Stringfellow hit Clark in the head.

    Stringfellow was with the team’s 22-year-old quarterback, Cyler Miles, who was not charged in any incident from that night.

    Court documents stated an hour later that Stringfellow punched another man multiple times, leaving the victim with a black eye and a cut lip.

    In court his attorney, James Burnell, said, “He was with his more elderly quarterback, a 22-year-old gentleman and he was a staunch Bronco fan. He was backing up his quarterback; it was a poor choice, he understands that.”

    Both Miles and Stringfellow remain suspended, but not kicked off the team.

    One of Stringfellow’s victims, Clark, a freshman at University of Washington, said she is glad the problem is resolved.

    “I’m glad that this process is over with, and I just want Damore’ea to know that I do forgive him,” Clark said.

    She also said that football players should not receive special treatment.

    Stringfellow could have received a maximum of three years in custody and a $15,000 fine.
    But because he has no criminal history, the judge granted his attorney’s request to have Stringfellow pay a $200 fine, spend five days on a work crew, and continue with anger management and counseling.


    Next Up: