• 1 dead in shooting at light rail station

    By: Henry Rosoff


    Passengers were asked to hit the deck aboard a light rail train when a man pulled a gun on a King County Sheriff’s Deputy and that deputy shot him to death.

    About 4:15 p.m., three fare enforcement officers contacted three men on the train to see if they’d paid their fares at the stadium stop.

    “One of the men could not provide proof of payment for his fare and all three were asked to exit the train at the SODO light rail station near 4th Avenue South and South Lander,” Seattle police spokesman Jonah Spangenthal-Lee said in a statement. Because of the deputy-involvement, the Sheriff’s Office asked Seattle police to investigate.

    “Fare enforcement officers requested assistance from a King County Sheriff’s Deputy — KCSO provides contract security on buses, light rail lines and other transit in the Seattle Metro area — who arrived and contacted the three men,” Spangenthal-Lee said. “One of the three men drew a handgun, and the deputy opened fire, wounding the armed suspect.”

    Other deputies tried to provide medical treatment, but the man died at the scene.

    The two other men were taken into custody for questioning, investigators did not immediately known if they would be booked into jail or released.  The deputy involved is described as a veteran officer.  He is on paid administrative leave pending the investigation.

    Two Seattle police officers were involved in a crash at 12th and Spruce while responding to the deputy-involved shooting.  They were traveling south along 12th and were somehow struck by a white sedan heading north, according to Seattle police.

    An eyewitness to the crash felt the white car was at fault for not pulling over for the squad car carrying a veteran male officer and veteran female officer.  Two civilians were also injured in the crash, but police said all four had non-life-threatening injuries. Click here to read about the Seattle police officer collision on First Hill.

    Light rail service was stopped for hours between Stadium Station and Beacon Hill Station and an alternate bus service was provided. The service resumed Monday evening at about 9 p.m.

    Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.

    Next Up: