• People forced from their homes in Eastlake apartment fire


    SEATTLE - For the second night in a row, people are out of their Seattle homes because of an overnight apartment fire.

    The latest fire happened at 2239 Yale Avenue East, just east of Lake Union Monday night.

    Firefighters rushed to the Castle Apartments at 11:35 p.m., after someone called 911 reporting smoke.

    When the first engine arrived, 8 people who live in the building had already gotten out, and were able to point firefighters to a second floor apartment. 

    Firefighters were able to confine the fire to that apartment and knock it down quickly.

    No people were hurt, but two cats died in the fire.

    The residents who live in the building told KIRO 7 a baseboard heater ignited a nearby couch.

    The Red Cross helped four men and four women find a place to stay overnight.  It’s unclear when they’ll be able to get back into their apartments.

    Next Up: