TRENTON, N.J. - A man has been charged with sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl in Trenton, New Jersey, after her father discovered the man in bed with his daughter.
According to NJ.com, 32-year-old Edgar Mendoza broke into the girl's home and sexually assaulted her early Sept. 19, police said. The victim's father reportedly found Mendoza in the child's bed after noticing a light had been turned off.
Scroll down to continue reading
- Rapper 'Nelly' arrested for alleged rape after show in Auburn
- Falling gate kills 10-year-old boy in Mukilteo
- High school students say man exposed himself to them near Westwood Village
- Watch: Las Vegas shooting victim stands for President Trump despite leg injury
- Seattle morning radio host leaves job after prostitution arrest
Police said they apprehended Mendoza after he jumped out of a second-floor window and fled. He was arrested and charged with aggravated sexual assault, burglary and endangering the welfare of a child.
The Mercer County Prosecutor's Office told NJ.com that Mendoza is here illegally. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement "placed a detainer on Mendoza," who is from Guatemala, the Trentonian reported.
Mendoza appeared Friday in Mercer County Superior Court and "declined to exercise his right to argue for release and agreed to be jailed without bail on pretrial detention," according to the Trentonian.
Editor’s Note: This story and headline have been edited to remove emphasis placed on Mendoza’s immigration status.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.