by: Debbie Lord, Cox Media Group National Content Desk Updated:
A white man in his 20s opened fire inside of a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas Sunday, killing more than 20 people, including the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter, and wounding at least 10 others.
According to the Associated Press, two officials, one a federal official and one in law enforcement, have identified the alleged shooter as Devin Patrick Kelley.
According to reports, around 50 parishioners were worshipping when the gunman entered the church and began shooting.
Law enforcement officials confirmed to The Associated Press that 26 people were killed.
According to authorities and other media outlets, Kelley:
- Was a white male, 26-years-old.
- Was found dead in a crashed car a brief chase following the shooting.
- Was believed to be the only shooter.
- Was dressed in all black.
- Fired outside the church, then went into the church and continued to fire; a resident near the church began firing at Kelley, then chased him in his car.
- Lived outside of San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is 35 miles from Sutherland Springs.
- Showed off an AR-15 rifle on Facebook recently.
- Served in the military in “cargo, demand and supply and distribution.” Was dishonorably discharged.
- Is believed to have taught a Bible study.
According to the San Antonio Express News, law enforcement is searching Kelley’s home for explosives.
Authorities say 24 people were found shot in the church; two outside of the church were shot, one of those two has died. The ages of the victims are from 5 to 72.
The attack came on the anniversary of the a mass shooting that took 13 lives at Fort Hood, Texas. On Nov. 5, 2009, U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Hasan, shot at least 43 people in the deadliest mass shooting on an American military base. Fort Hood is near Killeen, Texas, which is a little more than 150 miles from Sutherland Springs.
Scroll down to continue reading
- Lowland snow falls in Western Washington this weekend
- Police rescue raccoon who overate, got stuck in storm drain
- 100 cards sought for Washington woman turning 100 years old
- With Election Day almost here, follow these most-watched races
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Devin Patrick Kelley: What we know about the alleged Sutherland Springs…
Robert Mugabe expelled by Zimbabwe's ruling political party
Oklahoma quarterback apologizes for obscene actions on sidelines
This coffee riddle has baffled the internet – can you solve it?
Lena Dunham slammed for defending 'Girls' producer accused of rape