by: Jared Leone, Cox Media Group National Content Desk Updated:
OCEAN CITY, Md. - Her arm extended through the sand.
It was an eerie sight for early morning beachgoers who came across the body of a Texas woman found buried in the sand Monday with just her arm visible, police said.
Ashley O’Connor, 30, of Plano, Texas, was vacationing with family when she went for a walk alone on the beach around 2 a.m., officials said. Her body was discovered around 6:30 a.m. covered in sand.
It is unclear if she fell into the hole dug earlier in the day or climbed into it on her own.
Part of the beach was closed Monday as investigators worked to remove her body. They stood waist-deep in the hole searching for clues for hours.
O’Connor’s death was ruled an accident. She died of asphyxiation and suffocation, the medical examiner said.
- Just how bad is the Puget Sound air? This map will tell you
- Puget Sound air quality worst in US right now
- Haze hangs over Seattle as smoke from B.C. wildfires drifts into Washington
- Issues continue for Seafair pirates after assault at Daffodil Parade
- Cats and squirrels are causing Washington fires
© 2017 Cox Media Group.