by: Theresa Seiger, Cox Media Group National Content Desk Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas - A 14-year-old Texas girl died Sunday morning after she was electrocuted while using her cellphone in the bathtub, according to family members.
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” Madison Coe’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told KCBD. “We want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cellphone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”
O’Guinn and Madison’s mother told the news station that the teen was in the bathtub when she either plugged her phone in or grabbed her phone while it was charging at her father’s house in Lovington, New Mexico. She was electrocuted and died early Sunday morning, according to KCBD.
- Beachgoers form 80-person human chain to save drowning family
- 14-year-old electrocuted by cellphone while taking a bath
- When someone spoke against Seattle tax on wealthy, here's what happened
- VIDEO: Teen bit in head by bear wakes up to crunching sound
- PHOTOS: Seattle earthquakes: Photos from 1949, 1965 & 2001
“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” O’Guinn told the news station. “That was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”
Madison had recently graduated from the eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School in Lubbock, Texas, according to KCBD.
“She was very smart. Very good student in school. She just loved life," O'Guinn told the news station. “She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her.”
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
14-year-old electrocuted by cellphone while taking a bath
Officer finds girl's stolen toy, takes it on adventure before returning it
Woman had $2M in liquid meth hidden in cleaning jugs during traffic…
Coffee recalled for Viagra-like ingredient
O.J. Simpson parole hearing: What time, what channel, why is he in prison?