Three-alarm apartment fire burns in Burien



BURIEN, Wash. - Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire at a Burien apartment building on Monday evening.


Several units were engulfed in flames on levels 2, 3 and 4 of the Tra-Lee apartments, at 1224 S.W. 124th St.  Firefighters were throwing flaming objects from the windows and balconies of the building.


24 units were evacuated and up to eight were damaged. 96 people, including several children, were left temporarily homeless. 37 stayed at an American Red Cross shelter at Lake Burien Presbyterian Church.


Power and gas were cut off from the entire building. 124th Street was completely closed to traffic just south of Ambaum Boulevard SW.


The Fire Marshall said that the cause of the fire was a faulty thermostat which was stuck on "high" for the past week.


There were no injuries.