• 12 sickened by fumes at Everest College in Everett


    EVERETT, Wash. - Fumes sickened 12 people Wednesday -- causing headaches and dizziness -- in a hazardous materials incident at Everest College in Everett.


    Ten of those affected were taken to a hospital, said KIRO 7 Eyewitness News North Sound reporter Lee Stoll, who was at the scene. About 200 were evacuated from the building.


    An industrial hygenist swept the building Wednesday afternoon and found an uptick of ethol alcohol, which was within safety limits, in one of the medical training labs, the building manager said. But firefighters and people inside didn't know what they were dealing with when people started falling ill.


    "We were escorted by a firefighter with the full mask on, and we didn't know what was going on," said Jeff Anderson, who was working in a tax service office on the fourth floor. "It's kind of crazy, kind of crazy. It's bizarre."


    The school has a dental class, but there is no lab that would have gases or hazardous materials.  The school was closed for the remainder of the day.


    The building manager said the industrial hygenist cleared the building and didn't find any problems. The building is being ventilated and is expected to reopen Thursday morning.

    Next Up: