• Teen driver shot while fleeing from gunfire

    By: Maria Guerrero


    SEATTLE - The teenagers that crashed into a fence in Seattle's Mt. Baker neighborhood say they were being chased and shot at by strangers in another vehicle for no reason.

    The 19-year-old driver was shot in the head, and  the suspects are still on the loose.

    A torn up fence and landscape is all that's left in the Mt. Baker neighborhood.

    A white Buick with three teens inside lost control at the corner of 42nd Avenue and South Court Street and came to a crashing halt at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

    Their mangled car was riddled with at least five bullet holes.

    Seattle police found the driver lying inside.

    Somehow, the 19-year-old escaped with a graze wound to his head.

    The two other teens were hurt in the crash.

    The driver was taken to Harborview Medical Center. The victim's family has declined to release any information about him.

    The teens told police they were driving to Renton when they noticed another vehicle following them.

    “We think this car was trying to get away from another car for unknown reasons and ended up down here trying to shake the car and pretty much got trapped down here," said Neil Low with Seattle Police Department in an interview Wednesday night.

    It was after they crashed that the teens say they heard shots fired, but say they don’t know who fired them.

    A woman posted on the KIRO 7 Facebook page that her 18-year-old sister was one of the injured teens.

    The woman said her sister was not up to trouble; adding that she is a night time manager who had just gotten off work.

    Some Mt. Baker residents say these types of crimes are becoming all too familiar.

    “There's a community that's not getting the support they need. They're coming into this community that I think is very well supported but the whole Seattle is not really being taken care of I don't think," said resident Mark Zaros.

    KIRO 7 asked police if the teens may have been randomly targeted, the department’s spokesperson said they don’t know yet.

     The suspects were last seen leaving the area in an SUV, possibly a Ford Explorer.

    Next Up: