KELSO, Wash. - Authorities say a 13-year-old boy told police he accidentally shot and killed a longtime friend who had spent the night at his Kelso home.
The Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office says they're investigating after a teen called 911 Saturday afternoon to report that he had accidentally shot his friend. Investigators say the boy was distraught and told detectives he thought the gun was unloaded.
Other content from KIRO 7 News
- Toddler, baby boy, two adults die in Kitsap County house fire
- Police: Mom stabbed in West Seattle while walking her baby in stroller
- Man's heart stops after fish jumps into his mouth
- Family dog emerges alive and happy from wildfire aftermath
- Police: Mother, son arrested after Eastlake officer-involved shooting
No adults were home at the time of the shooting.
The Cowlitz County Coroner late Saturday identified the victim as 13-year-old Edgar Vasquez of Kelso.
Authorities did not release the name of the shooter.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.