by: Michael Fox Updated:
SEATTLE, Wa. - Memorial Day weekend in Seattle wouldn’t be complete without the Northwest Folklife Festival taking over Seattle Center.
I'm talking live music, arts and crafts, tasty food and fun for the entire family.
Here are 14 things you should know about this year’s festival (in no particular order).
1) There are over 800 performing groups at Folklife this year.
2) It’s FREE! But donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
3) Are you curious who is performing - and where - at this year's Northwest Folklife Festival? Click this link.
4) What's the difference between Northwest Folklife and Northwest Folklife Festival? Northwest Folklife is the organization that puts on Northwest Folklife Festival; in addition to many other arts and culture activies throughout the year.
5) The festival dates are May 23 – 26. The hours are 11am-10pm.
6) Their website is nwfolklife.org
7) Fun for the family! The Discovery Zone will be bigger and better this year. Located between The Armory & EMP Sky Church Stages. Click here for all the family related activities at this year’s festival.
8) Looking for visual arts? Head to the Cultural Focus Art Exhibition located west of the Fountain Lawn Stage.
9) Jamming hot spots – the festival map will lead you to all of the spots for open jams (there’s more this year!).
10) Getting there could be a little tricky due to construction. Click here for up-to-date traffic information.
11) Come hungry! There will be a world full of tempting eats at this year’s Folklife Festival.
12) Let’s say you really love a performance and want to share it with your friend – click here for archived audio recordings of each day’s performances.
13) Do you want to perform at this year’s Folklife Festival? Here’s the scoop for finding the perfect spot for playing your favorite tunes.
14) Bring your holiday shopping list! (yes I know it’s only May) – There will be more craft booths than you can count, anything from jewelry and soap to instruments and hard-to-find food items.