• Seattle runners run to raise money for Boston

    By: Deborah Horne


    SEATTLE - Hundreds of runners took to the pavement Monday in honor of the victims of the Boston Marathon explosions. 

    KIRO 7  followed runners in Seattle’s Capitol Hill and Greenlake neighborhoods. 

    The Capitol Hill run was organized by Fleet Feet Sports owner Brian Morrison.  He said he has run for years and has run many long distance races, but never Boston. 

    Still, even Morrison can’t explain why what happened there has touched runners from coast to coast.

    “It’s been pretty amazing.  I can’t explain it except that I know me, personally, it really hit me and made me want to do something about it.  I guess there’s number of other people that felt the same way.”

    At Greenlake, run organizer Daniel Julian said runners there wanted to dedicate their usual Monday run to the blast victims.

    “We thought this Monday would be a great night to kind of do a run in their honor.  You know we’re not doing anything special other than just you run a simple lap around Greenlake.  And we’re going to have some information that they can donate, if they like, to different charities.

    On the Green Lake Trail, a Monday night running club usually attracts 40 or 50 people, at the most.

    When the Jock and Jill running shop told runners this Monday night was to support victims in Boston, five times the normal crowd huddled in. Clad in yellow, hanging Boston Marathon placards, many vowed to run a 5k every night, encouraging sponsors to chip in for victims’ various relief funds.

     Quietly stretching minutes before running, two local women were still feeling shockwaves from last Monday’s Marathon bombing. They both ran the Boston Marathon.  Both felt the shuddering concussions, the screams in the smoke and the terrifying chaos, in person.

     Lizzie Lee and Sandi Rowden found themselves on both sides of the bombs. Rowden finished six minutes before she expected. Her family, standing in the exact spot where the first bomb exploded, moved down the street behind her, ushered safely out of harm’s way.

     “I heard and felt the first bomb,” said Lizzie Lee. “I knew it was a bomb. Then I kept going because I saw the crowd didn’t react. Then, I saw smoke, and police officers throwing up their arms, screaming for us to stop.”

     Lee was stopped less than a quarter mile from the finish line. Now, she finds strength in the unity of her fellow runners, 3,000 miles away.

    “When I saw this many people, I was so excited that we all share a common cause,” Lee said.

    Both groups are raising money for the victims, including Adrianne Haslet-Davis, a 1998 Issaquah High School graduate who lost a foot.





    Next Up: