• Unresponsive 1-year-old found living in car dies


    TULALIP, Wash. - A 1-year-old girl who was living in a car on the Tulalip reservation later died after emergency crews found her unresponsive.


    The girl, identifed by Child Protective Services as Chantel Craig, and her 2-year-old sister, Juanita Craig, were found living in a car on a property in the 1000 block of Marine Drive Northeast near Marysville on Monday.   


    Both were taken to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett.   


    The 1-year-old later died.   The cause of her death has not been determined.


    The 2-year-old girl is now at Children's Hospital.   Family friends said the girl is in stable condition in the intensive care unit suffering from dehydration and a severe rash, but she is expected to survive.


    "The prognosis looks good that she will survive and we're very grateful for that," said Tribal chairman Mel Sheldon.  


    Sheldon said the girls were found on property belonging to the Cladoosby family, but would not say much more.


    The girls' mother, Christina Carlson, also known as Christina Cladoosby, is a 36-year-old Tulalip tribal member.  She was arrested and booked into the Snohomish County Jail on charges of two counts of criminal endangerment and two counts of failure to support or care for a dependent.


    A family friend said Carlson has a drug problem and left the toddlers alone for days. When she came back, Chantel Craig was unconscious.


    Video from Chopper 7 showed investigators pulling evidence from a black Volvo outside a home in the area.  The investigators, wearing full-body protective suits, lined items up along a mat along with evidence markers.  


    Tribal investigators were back at the scene Tuesday, but other, possibly federal investigators, could be called in.


    "Our tribal police will be looking into this, our police force, and then if its serious enough the FBI will then take over and conduct their investigation," said Sheldon.


    CPS did have an open investigation regarding the 1-year-old's welfare.  That investigation was recently closed without being completed and CPS would say no more.

    Next Up: