• Puyallup house fire uncovers marijuana grow operation


    PUYALLUP, Wash. - A marijuana grow operation was uncovered after a fire damaged a Puyallup home Wednesday morning.


    The fire happened at a house on 7th Avenue Southeast and 5th Street Southeast.


    According to police, the fire may have been caused by a pot grow inside the home that may have overloaded the home’s electrical system.


    KIRO 7 Eyewitness news reporter Kevin McCarty spoke with the owner and with neighbors who are angry no one has been arrested.


    “I had no idea, no clue,” said homeowner Sherry. “No, I never would have approved.”


    The damaged home has been in the same family for three generations.


    A neighbor, Stephanie Travis, is upset as well because the fire was just a few feet from her house.


    “So right here is where three of our children share a room, and right there is where the grow op took place,” said Travis. “I don’t want my kids to feel unsafe in a neighborhood, and I don’t want to have to continue to live in fear.”


    The renter claimed that he was growing legal medicinal marijuana, but he has not been able to prove that.


    Puyallup police said no arrests have been made because they’re not certain a law was broken.


    “The laws surrounding medical marijuana, and of course, the laws surrounding marijuana possession, in general, are a bit confusing,” said Captain Ryan Portmann of the Puyallup Police Department.


    Travis said she doesn’t care if the grow was legal or not. She’s more concerned about the fire and the threat to her family.


    “People praise it, I don’t. I don’t want my kids to think this is OK. I don’t want my kids to feel unsafe in a neighborhood,” said Travis.


    Police said the renter is cooperating with their investigation. He is still trying to prove the grow was legal.


    Investigators said if he can’t prove the grow was legal, he will be arrested. 

    Next Up: