• Police have yet to question driver who hit, killed 2-year-old Buckley boy

    By: Kevin McCarty


    Buckley, WA - The driver of a pickup truck that hit and killed a two-year-old Buckley boy had still not been interviewed by police more than 24 hours after the crash occurred. Buckley police chief James Arsanto said the 78-year-old man has been in contact with police through his attorney. Arsanto said the man agreed to an interview by investigators late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

    In the meantime Arsanto said police continued to try to determine why the man left State Route 410 driving onto the Foothills trail and continuing to drive about 500 feet before hitting and killing Lincoln Person.

    “We’re looking into several different reasons why an accident of this nature could have taken place”, said Arsanto.

    Police found a box with several prescription drugs in the man's truck but have ruled out alcohol or impaired driving as the cause. Arsanto said the crash could have been a tragic accident and not a crime.

    As police continued their investigation, family members of Lincoln Person released a statement through their church pastor saying they had forgiven the man who hit and killed their son.

    “As Christ followers, the Person family believes in forgiveness and feel no ill will towards the driver”, said Doug Daulton of the Mt. Rainier Christian Center in an email to KIRO 7.

    The Persons also expressed gratitude toward residents of Buckley. “They want to thank the community for the outpouring of love and support that they’ve received in the last 24 hours”, said Daulton. “They want to remind everyone not to take their family for granted, not to take your kids for granted.” Daulton added the Persons had a second child born, a daughter, just two weeks ago.

    A small memorial of flowers, balloons and stuffed animals rests at the site where Lincoln was killed. Some residents were too distraught to talk to reporters, saying they knew the family.  “Small community,” said Bob Ward after placing flowers at the memorial. “It’s just a shame, just a shame.”

    Police found a box with several prescription drugs in the man's truck. But they have ruled out alcohol or impaired driving as the cause, and are still waiting to interview the driver to determine what happened that caused him to leave the road.

    Next Up: