• Police: Suspect in officer-involved shooting had AK-47

    By: KIRO 7 STAFF


    SEATTLE - A man in Seattle’s Queen Anne neighborhood was shot to death after police said he shot at officers with an AK-47.

    The incident started shortly before 10:30 p.m. Saturday night in the 300 block of West Prospect. At least one neighbor called 911 about gunshots, and responding officers “were greeted by the sound of continued gunfire,” according to a department statement.

    “The first officers on scene, including at least two who were rifle trained and equipped, took positions near the front of the house in question,” according to the department statement, released early Sunday morning. “The adult male suspect was still outside brandishing his firearm, before quickly retreating into his residence via the front door. A short time later, the suspect came out again and opened fire on the officers.”

    A police source told KIRO 7 the man fired at police with an AK-47.

    Two rifle-equipped officers returned fire, fatally wounding the man, who was the homeowner. After being shot, police said he crawled into his house and out of view of the officers.

    SWAT officers were called to the scene and tried to make contact with the suspect. A robot was sent into the building and found the suspect dead.

    “SWAT officers entered the home and found multiple firearms including semi-automatic rifles and shotguns as well as body armor staged near the front door,” the police statement read. “No one else was injured during this incident. It is still not clear what the suspect was shooting at just prior to and during officers’ arrival.”

    Police spokesman Patrick Michaud said that both the suspect and the house were familiar to police. He did not elaborate.

    “I was watching the Husky game and with about five minutes left I heard what sounded to me like gunfire, a lot -- 10 or 11 shots -- and my wife thought it was fireworks,” neighbor Steve Adler said. “And then a few minutes later we heard some sirens and saw some flashing lights. 

    “Police came and put up the tape on the street and I went out there to see what was going on and an officer said I should probably just go back in the house.”

    Both officers involved in the shooting will be on paid administrative leave, which is standard department procedure. 

    The investigation is ongoing, and we’ll have a live report with the latest from police on KIRO Eyewitness News starting at 5 p.m.

    Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.

    Next Up: