• Gunman found dead after 2 shootings in Renton-Issaquah area


    RENTON, Wash. - A gunman who police spent hours searching for after two related shootings in the Renton-Issaquah area was found dead Saturday evening.


    According to police, 48-year-old John McKay assaulted and opened fire on relatives in Renton and near Issaquah.


    The first shooting happened in the area of Fifth Place and Union in Renton, where McKay entered a home and threatened to shoot people inside.


    Police said McKay shot a man in the arm, and the man was taken to Harborview Medical Center. He is expected to survive his injuries.


    According to authorities, McKay pistol-whipped two adults in the home, and they were both taken to Valley Medical Center.


    The second shooting occurred in the 13400 block of 209th Avenue Southeast where McKay’s 67-year-old former mother-in-law lives.


    Police said McKay broke down the door of the woman’s home, chased her around the house and into the yard. He then shot her in the stomach.


    The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center, and she is expected to survive her injuries.


    Neighbors told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Alison Grande that they heard the shooting and saw police rush to the Renton home.


    “We saw them bring the guy out on a stretcher, and my kids say they heard, ‘Pop, pop, pop,’” said neighbor Ava Dorris.


    “I got a call from my next door neighbor saying police were all over my house, and some dude was shot in my backyard. I just rushed. One was there, there’s medical supplies and blood all over my back yard,” said Mark Martinez, another resident in the neighborhood. 


    After the second shooting, McKay fled the scene in a black Chevrolet Aveo with Oregon plates, which was a rental car.


    As police searched for McKay, they found the car in Skyway and where he was found dead inside.


    “Deputies broke out the passenger window and confirmed the suspect had a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” said Sgt. Cindi West of the King County Sheriff’s Office.


    Investigators believed that McKay was going to target more of his relatives.


    “It’s been tense, we were extremely worried what was going to happen next,” said West. “It’s an unfortunate situation, we’re happy it’s over.”


    According to police, McKay had an extensive criminal history, including convictions for assault, malicious mischief and harassment. Also, he got out of the King County Jail in September. 

    Next Up: