ABERDEEN, Wash. - A power line shocked a man Saturday morning which caused a power outage, according to the Aberdeen Fire Department.
The incident happened when crews were responding to a 911 report of an electrical injury in the alley of 823 West and 1st Street.
According to the Grays Harbor Public Utility District, power was being restored in the area after an outage that occurred before 11 a.m. About 40 customers lost power.
A preliminary investigation indicated either a contractor or the equipment he was holding came into contact with a power line.
According to the fire department, the man was not working on the power lines and was painting in the area of lines.
When the fire department arrived at the scene, crews found a semi-conscious man in a hoist below power lines.
A rescue effort was delayed because the hoist was damaged by the electricity and was inoperable. The power lines were a few feet above the basket, according to the fire department.
Crews were able to extricate the man, and treat him at the scene.
The man was taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital with life-threatening injuries and then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center.