• Man fatally shot at busy Bellevue Square bar

    By: Terra Sullivan


    BELLEVUE, Wash. - Bellevue police officers are investigating a fatal shooting in the early morning hours of Christmas Eve at a busy Bellevue Square bar. 


    Just after 1 a.m., police responded to Munch Bar on the second floor of the mall near the corner of Bellevue Way and Northeast Eighth Street after calls came in to dispatch about shots fired.


     Witnesses told KIRO 7  Eyewitness News it was a chaotic scene inside when several shots rang out at the bar.


    "I just heard some gunshots and some people fighting, get thrown over the bar and bottles flew," said witness Rich Maldonado.


    Police say a 30-year-old Seattle man was fatally shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.  Another man in his 20s was also injured, but the extent of his injuries has not been released.  He was transported to Overlake Hospital.


    Witnesses said several people had gathered at the bar to celebrate the Seattle Seahawks win, including some of the team's players.   Calls to Seahawks media contacts have not been returned.


    Cornelius Bomet shot cellphone video of the melee.  


    "Some of the 'Hawks were in there, they were safely escorted through the kitchen and through the back," said Bomet.


    Seahawks coach Pete Carroll confirmed some players were at the bar, but they were in a separate area and were not involved.


    Police said several altercations at the bar at the same time may have led to the shooting.  The gunman remains at large. 


    Officers from Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland and Clyde Hill rushed to the scene and then locked down the mall and checked everyone before allowing them to leave.  About 600 people were inside the bar at the time of the shooting.


    Investigators combed the bar for evidence and are interviewing witnesses.


    Bellevue ask anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information related to the shooting to contact the tip line at: 425-452-2564 or pdtipline@bellevuewa.gov.

    Next Up: