• Man charged with raping 13-year-old he met online

    By: Alison Grande


    TACOMA, Wash. - A soldier was charged with child rape Monday, accused of having sex with a 13-year-old girl he met online.

    According to Pierce County prosecutors, while he was deployed in Afghanistan, Glen Winans who is 47, met the victim online at meetme.com and the two had multiple conversations. Authorities said the victim told Winans she was 15 years old.

    One month ago, the two met for the first time when Winans drove to the victim’s home in Kelso and took her to see a movie. They had sex that night, prosecutors said.

    On Friday, Winans picked up the victim from her home and brought her back to his home in Lakewood, where they again had sex, according to charging documents.

    The girl stayed the night, and the next day, the two were eating at Kimberly’s Café in Lakewood when a waitress overheard Winans tell the victim that he liked young girls, court documents said.  Police say the waitress noticed Winans and the 13 year-old were holding hands.

    The waitress called police.

    Police said victim admitted to officers that the two had sex, and Winans was subsequently arrested at the café.

    Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist credits the waitress with getting Winans caught. “The waitress is watching and it just doesn’t look quite right to her and she’s noticing they’re holding hands, “explained Lindquist.

    Winan denied having a sexual relationship with the victim, but told detectives that he did not like women in their 30s and 40s because they are typically out of shape and overweight.

    His reasoning didn’t sit well with Lakewood resident Hailey West, “I think that’s awful. He’s just trying to find excuses for the reason he went for a younger lady, girl.”

    “It turns my stomach, I literally cannot imagine, “said resident Clare Vaught who has four daughters. The idea he met the girl when police say he was deployed to Afghanistan, “That just really brings shame, brings shame to people who wear the uniform Vaught added. Winans pleaded not guilty Monday and bail was set at $100,000.

    Next Up: