SEATTLE - A former Seattle Seahawks player said online Sunday he thinks women are “incapable” of knowing football and that they should stop coming into "male spaces" demanding respect.
The former player, John Moffitt, has been out of the league for years. Moffitt played for the Seahawks in 2011 and 2012.
“Women don’t know football,” Moffitt wrote on Facebook. “Most guys barely do. Stop coming into male spaces and demanding respect.”
Moffitt’s comments come after Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton recently smiled while a woman questioned him about pass route running, saying, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes.”
“Women don't really know the game,” Moffitt wrote Sunday. “They are incapable. Yet in this society where a woman can do anything a man can do and men can do nothing this is a rock and a hard place. Personally, I thought it was funny too!”
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement that Newton's comments "are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league. They do not reflect the thinking of the league."
- Rapper 'Nelly' arrested for alleged rape after show in Auburn
- Falling gate kills 10-year-old boy in Mukilteo
- High school students say man exposed himself to them near Westwood Village
- Watch: Las Vegas shooting victim stands for President Trump despite leg injury
- Seattle morning radio host leaves job after prostitution arrest
© 2018 Cox Media Group.