Whidbey Island landslide victims must apply for donated money

by: Lee Stoll Updated:

WHIDBEY ISLAND, Wash. - It has been nearly two weeks since Coupeville’s Mark Laska pulled a concert together to benefit the Ledgewood residents who were hit by a massive landslide last month.              

“It was a fabulous thing.  The community really pulled together," said Laska.

He handed over the money—about $12,000—to the homeowners' association.

Tom O’Neill lives above the slide area and said he hasn’t seen any of it.

"We've heard nothing.  We've called the homeowners' association, we get answering machines,” said O’Neill.

O’Neill said his landlord has told him to leave his crumbling home at the end of his lease this month. He hoped money from the benefit would help he and his wife move out.

"I need about $15,000.  That's all I need.  I've got a place lined up.  I've done all the footwork,” said O’Neill.

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News tried to talk to the homeowners' association President Jan Wright at her house and as she headed in to a meeting today. She reached KIRO 7 Thursday afternoon to say the money is still in the bank.

Starting Thursday evening, applications will be mailed out or hand delivered to victims.  Those applications need to be filled out by May 6.

A committee will then decide who gets what.

"As soon as the committee can get together and make a decision, the funds will be disbursed.  We are expecting all the funds will be disbursed by May 15th,” said Wright.

O’Neill said victims didn’t need to wait two weeks to be told they’ll have to wait even longer for the money.

"I could type that (application) up in 20 seconds,” O’Neill said.