• Bus shooter dead, driver recovering; questions remain

    By: Amy Clancy , Graham Johnson and Casey McNerthney


    SEATTLE - The man who shot a bus driver and caused a chaotic scene Monday morning in downtown Seattle has died, and the wounded driver has been released from the hospital.

    The shooting took place about 8:50 a.m. on Route 27 near Third Avenue and Union Street.

    Police said Martin Duckworth, the 31-year-old suspect, fled on foot and was shot about six minutes later near scene near Second Avenue and Seneca Street.

    Witnesses told KIRO 7 that three men got onto the No. 27 bus and did not pay. The driver, Deloy Dupuis, asked them to pay and then the suspect, who was not part of the group, yelled "war" and started firing.  


    >>> How do you feel about Metro bus safety? What do you think should be done to increase safety on our buses? Share your thoughts on Facebook here.

    Police sources identified Duckworth, a man who also was involved in a March Pioneer Square shooting and has a history of drug crimes.

    Dupuis, 64, was hit in the arm and cheek and was rushed to Harborview Medical Center. Authorities said he was doing well and that he was joking with visitors Monday afternoon. Dupuis was released early Monday evening.

    >>> Share your messages for Dupuis on Facebook here.

    Two off-duty police officers who were nearby responded to the shooting. One cared for the driver and the second boarded the bus looking for the suspect, Assistant Chief Paul McDonagh said.

    The chase went south on Third Avenue, and the officer asked for additional units. The suspect went right on University Street, then turned and fired at officer, McDonagh said. He was not hit.

    There were reports that Duckworth tried but failed at a carjacking, then boarded another Metro bus, the Route 120. Officers opened fire there, McDonagh said.

    People who work in office towers near Second Avenue and Seneca Street had a birds-eye view as police shot Duckworth.

    Todd Senterfitt heard the first two shots from his office 16 floors up.

    "I turned around in the window and saw police firing at the bus," Senterfitt said.

    "By the way police were surrounding the bus it looked like he was in the driver's seat of the bus," said Kari Courtade, who watched from the same office.

    KIRO 7 reporter Graham Johnson counted 13 bullet holes in the windows of the Route 120 bus.

    Seattle police said once Duckworth hopped aboard the second bus, the driver and several passengers ran off. Officers helped the rest out through the back door.

    Officers dragged Duckworth out of the bus and began giving him medical aid before the Seattle Fire Department arrived.

    Duckworth also was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.

    RAW VIDEO: Man on bus where driver shot tells story

    Suspect has violent history

    Duckworth was sentenced in October 2011 for a King County drug charge. He was not sent to prison, but given a year of supervision with the Department of Corrections, agency spokesman Chad Lewis said.

    Duckworth was re-arrested Nov. 29, for a drug investigation and remained in King County Jail until Dec. 2. He was back there for another drug case March 21 and last released April 15.

    He was booked in March after being shot in the face near the Union Gospel Mission in Seattle's Pioneer Square neighborhood. Eyewitnesses at the time told KIRO 7 Duckworth fled shirtless and bloody and tried to get onto a Metro bus.

    "He was scared, you could tell," witness James Henderson told KIRO 7 that day. "He thought he was going to die."

    After that shooting, Duckworth was taken to Harborview Medical Center where police learned he'd been wanted since December for failing to report to his parole officer.

    Police said he didn't help officer learn who shot him, and that case remains unsolved.

    Duckworth had 11 DOC violations between 2007 and Monday, though DOC staff said that's not an unusually high number for an offender over that time span. His violations were for failing to report and drug use, Lewis said.

    Shootings on bus routes rare

    McDonagh said shootings on Metro routes, which are used by more than 400,000 people daily in King County, are rare.

    The last fatal bus driver shooting in Seattle happened Nov. 27, 1998, when Silas Cool shot Mark McLaughlin as he drove the 159 Express across the Aurora Bridge. Cool also killed himself in the incident.

    WARNING, GRAPHIC VIDEO: Bystander runs to help bloody bus driver

    RAW VIDEO: Man on bus where driver shot tells story

    RAW VIDEO: Bus shooting witness interview

    RAW VIDEO: Bus shooting in downtown Seattle

    RAW VIDEO: Shooting scene near Benaroya Hall

    Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.

    Next Up: