Gas leak prompts evacuation, shutdown at Renton grocery store

Updated:

RENTON, Wash. - A Renton grocery store was evacuated and shut down Friday afternoon after a natural gas leak, said officials with the Renton Fire and Emergency Services.

 

The incident happened at the Safeway on South 3rd Street after 4 p.m.

 

Crews with the Renton Fire and Emergency Services responded to the location after the leak was reported.

 

Officials said the vendor broke a 1-inch pipe to a heater inside of a back room.

 

Crews evacuated the entire store and shut down until Puget Sound Energy arrived.

 

After crews with PSE cleared area, the store was reoccupied.

 

No injuries were reported in relation to the incident.