• Former UW star arrested again

    By: Casey McNerthney , KIRO 7 STAFF


    Quick Facts: 

    • Former University of Washington star charged with domestic violence assault.
    • Reggie Rogers' criminal history includes six DUIs.
    • Rogers killed two teenagers in a 1989 DUI crash.
    • Recent incident happened in Seattle's Beacon Hill neighborhood.

    Reggie Rogers, a former University of Washington football All-American and first-round NFL draft pick, has been charged with domestic violence assault.

    The episode is the latest in a string of problems for Rogers, who killed three teenagers in a DUI crash a year after being drafted by the Detroit Lions. His criminal history includes six DUI convictions.

    About 11:45 p.m. Monday, a woman in Rogers' Beacon Hill home awoke to Rogers yelling at the television, she said. She told police her husband started yelling at her, saying she was trying to kill him by asking him about drinking alcohol. He then ordered her to go get him beer from the garage.

    Rogers grabbed the 56-year-old woman by the collar of her bathrobe, pulled her to him and struck her on top of the head with a flashlight, according to the police incident report. As she left through the kitchen door, Rogers threw the flashlight at her, police were told.

    She called 911 instead of getting the beer and ran across the street when Rogers came to check on her, police said.

    Police found Rogers walking near the home. He said he went for a walk instead of arguing and that the woman was upset about another woman who had called him.

    In the incident report, police noted the difference between Rogers and his wife. Rogers is listed as 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds; the woman is 4-foot-10 and 119 pounds.

    Rogers entered a not guilty plea Wednesday in Seattle Municipal Court and has a domestic violence pre-custody hearing scheduled for Oct. 28.

    He remains in King County Jail.

    Rogers was waived in 1989 because he had broken his neck in the collision that killed the teenagers. His blood-alcohol content was more than double the legal limit in that crash, and Rogers was sentenced to 16 months in prison for vehicular homicide. Rogers returned to the NFL after prison, but was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1992.

    Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.

    Next Up: