• Firefighters rescue man from Beacon Hill fire


    SEATTLE - Seattle firefighters rescued an elderly man who was unable to walk out of his burning Beacon Hill home Monday night.


    Firefighters were called to the home  in the 5500 block of Beacon Avenue South just before midnight for reports of smoke seen in the area. 


    A fire that started from food left on the stove spread through the entire kitchen of the two-story house, firefighters said.


    Crews met with an elderly woman at the home who said a man was still inside who was unable to walk.  Rescuers located the man and brought him outside to safety.


    It took crews nearly 30 minutes to extinguish the flames, which were contained to the kitchen area.  


    Because of fire and smoke damage,  along with the high readings of carbon monoxide, the occupants were not allowed to stay in the home for the night.


    Red Cross is providing temporary housing to the couple until it is safe for them to return to their house. 


    No one was hurt.


    The damage to the home is estimated at $15,000.

    Next Up: