• Fire guts West Seattle home


    SEATTLE - A fire that destroyed a West Seattle home early Sunday morning was caused by burning embers from a fireplace, according to the Seattle Fire Department.


    The fire department received a call before 3:30 a.m. of a house fire in the 5400 block of 45th Avenue Southwest.


    The West Seattle Engine Company 32 responded to the scene and found a person outside of the burning house.


    Flames were shooting out of the front door, front window and higher than the chimney, according to the fire department.


    Other houses north of the home were exposed to the fire.


    It took firefighters 45 minutes to extinguish the flames.


    The occupant suffered a minor burn to the hand while attempting to extinguish the fire.


    The damages of the home are estimated at $100,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents. 

    Next Up: