• Fire destroys Bellevue home


    BELLEVUE, Wash. -  

    Quick Facts: 


    • Family of 5, 3 dogs escaped
    • Smoke detector did not go off
    • Home considered a total loss
    • No one hurt


    A Bellevue family said they feel lucky they made it out with their three dogs after a fire gutted their home.

    The flames tore through the house on 155th Avenue Southeast Wednesday morning.

    The family who lived in the home said they didn’t hear their smoke detector when the fire erupted at 1:45 a.m.  Instead, they heard their mother yelling “fire” and the five of them got out, including their three dogs.

    Firefighters said the flames were able to spread quickly through the attic.           

    Neighbors said the fire was so big that their home almost caught on fire.

    The family who lived in the burned home said their most prized possession -- their grandmother's ashes -- are still inside.

    Investigators said they're going to find out why the home’s smoke detector did not go off.

    The home is considered a total loss.

    Want to talk about the news of the day? Watch free streaming video on the KIRO 7 mobile app and iPad app, and join us here on Facebook.

    Next Up: