RENTON, Wash. - Firefighters said the occupant of a home where an illegal marijuana grow operation was found left so quickly when flames erupted that he left the door open.
Crews were called to the home near Talbot Road South and Talbot Crest Drive South in Renton around 5:22 a.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the eaves of the home.
Once the blaze was mostly under control, crews found three rooms full of marijuana plants.
Crews were still battling some stubborn flames in the home’s attic at 7 a.m.
Renton’s deputy fire chief said the occupant of the home was present when the fire started and left so quickly that he left the front door ajar.
Fire officials said the fire was caused by faulty wiring used to power the operation.
A neighbor said a man in his 20s moved into the home earlier this year.
It is not yet known if the man was a renter or the owner of the home.
Under Initiative 502, which goes into effect on Dec. 6, the only marijuana that may be grown legally in Washington will be cultivated by specially-licensed farmers. That marijuana will be sold in stores operated by private Washington businesses that are licensed and regulated by the state.
The state has until Dec. 2013 to have marijuana-related licenses and regulations in place. Until then, it is legal for adults age 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of the drug.
More questions? Visit our legal marijuana section.
Fire breaks out at Renton grow house
Video shows deputies stunning man with hands behind his back
Man accused of killing 4 children served 16 years in prison for pregnant…
CNN reporter knocked down during live coverage of Charlotte protests
Cam Newton on Charlotte unrest: 'I'm a firm believer of justice'