• Candles lead to propane tank explosions, fire in South Park


    SEATTLE - Neighbors awoke to a sounds of a large explosion and flames shooting from a home in Seattle's South Park neighborhood.


    The fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at an abandoned, dilapidated home at South Trenton Street and 14th Avenue South.


    Firefighters said the home was on the verge of collapse when they arrived.


    Crews were unable to enter the house and were forced to fight the flames from the outside.


    Seattle fire said the flames and explosion were caused by a homeless man who was burning candles in the house.


    Curtains in the home caught fire and the man was able to get out before two propane tanks exploded.


    The man was transported to a hospital with unknown injuries.

    Next Up: