SEATTLE - Firefighters called for backup after a fire broke out at an apartment building on Beacon Hill following sounds of an explosion.
The fire broke out just after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday on South Massachusetts Street east of Interstate 5 and south of Interstate 90.
A man who lives in the apartment where the fire started told firefighters he woke up to the sound of a large boom, got up to see what happened and saw it looked like the fire started in kitchen. He said he believes his stove exploded, but firefighters later said the refrigerator ignited butane gas, causing an explosion.
The man then ran around the complex screaming there was a fire and someone called 911 and pulled the fire alarm.
Seattle firefighters were able to knock down the fire quickly, but 32 people had to be evacuated.
Witnesses told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Jeff Dubois what they heard after the fire began.
“We thought our shower caddy fell or something,” said a woman who was holding her cat outside the charred building.
“Someone started yelling throughout the apartment building ‘Fire! Fire! Fire!’ and within a few seconds they pulled the fire alarm and then you could smell something burning and everyone got out,” said a man who lives in the building.
The fire did most of the damage on the back side of the building where there is heavy fire and smoke damage to at least six units. Damage is estimated to be $300,000.
There were no reports of injuries.