Explosion at Evergreen State Fair

by: Web Staff Updated:

MONROE, Wash. —

A small explosion injured two people about 1 p.m. Monday at the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe.

The incident happened when an employee working for a fireplace vendor at the fair attempted to light a fireplace.

“The glass window on the fireplace blew out, injuring a male employee and a female employee working nearby,” Snohomish County spokeswoman Bronlea Mishler said in a statement. “Fire personnel, the fire marshal and Snohomish County Sheriff’s deputies on duty at the Fair responded immediately.”

The man was taken to a hospital for injuries from the flying glass and the woman was treated at the scene. The fire marshal removed the fireplace and cleared the fireplace vendor to resume operations.