Updated:EDMONDS, Wash. —
A fire shortly before 4 a.m. Thursday damaged a deli, forced a family out of their home and shut down busy Edmonds Way for more than an hour during the morning commute.
The fire started in the back room of Mike’s Deli and Mini Mart on 232nd Place Southwest and Edmonds Way. Firefighters had to cut holes in the roof, but they were able to contain the fire from spreading throughout the business and the apartment attached to the back of the building.
Ken Anderson lives across the street from that apartment and was woken up by his dog barking.
“So I came out, and next thing I know there were flames in the corner,” said Anderson.
A couple, their daughter and her boyfriend, and their three dogs lived the in apartment that’s attached to the building. A neighbor pounded on the door to alert them of the fire. Anderson found the family in his driveway so he offered them coffee and warmth.
“They were shaking, especially the daughter,” said Anderson. “But you know, they got out and that was the main thing.”
Anderson said the family’s insurance company helped put them up in a nearby motel. They don’t have power and it’s unclear when it will be turned back on.
Mike Luke learned his business was up in flames from an employee who was supposed to open the store.
“She called me and said, ‘Did you know the store was on fire?’” said Luke. “I was like, ‘What?’”
Luke started working at the store 20 years ago, became part owner and now owns it outright. The fire was mostly contained to the back part of the business where he has refrigerators and storage. Fire marshals told KIRO 7 it's too early to know why it started.
“They have to cut power and there's smoke and water damage,” said Luke. “You know, it shuts you down.”
The building’s owner was planning to check out the damage Thursday afternoon. As for Mike’s Deli, Luke doesn't know how long it will take to reopen or if it will be possible. He said it looks like he’ll be able to salvage some of the business.